Thursday, January 10, 2013

JUST A SWINGIN'


"Just A Swingin'"  Original oil painting, 6" X 6"
 NFS

This is my great niece, Lyra.  Her mother allowed me to use her photo as a painting reference, and I jumped at the opportunity.  Admittedly, I was not averse to begging and pleading and even bribery!  I wanted to work out what seemed to be a complex composition and figure out the foreshortening, since we know photos distort elements which are closer to us.  I had planned to go farther with this study, but, once I decided on the adjustments I wanted, I decided on a larger painting and a more polished look.

I have been sketching and painting a lot of studies lately, with the idea in mind for larger works.  I wasn't quite sure this would work on a larger format, so a few days later I sketched it on........taking forever!  The larger painting is now a work in progress and will not be posted until this challenge is complete at the end of January.  Please stop by sometime early in February and see how it has developed from this small study into a full fledged painting.

11 comments:

ASudhaker Shenoy said...

I love this work.Beautiful.

Margaret S Milligan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny Dobbs Nelson said...

Brilliant. I love this painting.

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

I like the way she is peeking out,it as if she is hiding,but probably its just because she is holding onto the swing .

Angela Sullivan said...

Very cute. Nicely painted. I can see why you would go o great feats to be able to paint this.

Sally Dean said...

Wonderful piece!

Deanna Lack said...

Oh, this is just so wonderful. You've done such a beautiful job with the scene and I just love her pretty blue eye peeking from behind her hand.

Pattie Wall said...

Great perspective and a super challenge - it is so cute and you did a very nice job Debra! I love it!

Cathy Engberg said...

This is wonderful!! What a great angle. So very interesting. It reminds me of an illustration in a children's story book. Great color and brushwork. I can't wait to see the larger version!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Love, Love, LOVE everything about this painting!

Jerry Kinnamon said...

Deb, you're my hero! Your challenge has been interesting, but your subject matters and colors-delicious! I would challenge photographers also, to capture as well these fine moments. That alone is a most magnificent accomplishment! Cheers and congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...