Sunday, May 16, 2010

I have kept a closely guarded secret for months, and now, am able to reveal it...

This is my painting to be used as the cover art for a new historical novel, which released this month to book stores and online sales venues. Ambassador International Publishing's best-selling inspirational fiction series by award-winning author, Ruth Carmichael Ellinger is releasing its third novel in the Wildrose series. "Sword of the Wild Rose" will be distributed to international markets, as well as in the United States.

Our collaboration began when Ruth, a local author, attended a function at Center Place Arts and Civic Assn. in Brandon, Fl. in December. I had a display of my artwork, titled "The Masters as Teachers" on exhibit in Mook Gallery there. Impressed by the subject matter and painting style of the oil paintings, and discouraged by the prevalent use of graphic art designers and their inability to visually capture her ideas, Ruth contacted me with the suggestion of creating the book cover she envisioned.

Delighted with the project, I used the text of the manuscript as my primary inspiration for the painting. I also drew upon my research into vintage period clothing, as well as the Davidson family history and colonial historical references in compiling the piece.

I painted two oil sketch drafts, depicting elements designed to capture the heart of the story. From among these, we chose the strongest visuals and worked out their placement. These decisions made, I then worked at capturing the essence of the story in pictorial form.

I am pretty sure I don't have to say...........I was ecstatically happy to work on this project! I am even happier still, that I was able to keep the secret from Mike until I could put the book in his hand! Ha! :)



2 comments:

Mark Bridges said...

Hey, way to go. Great painting.

M. M. Harman said...

Deb, what an awesome opportunity for you, and you created brilliantly! Have I told you lately how proud I am of you? Keep up the incredible work, you inspire me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...